Top 6 Tips for Making a Photo Session with Kids Easier!!
If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don’t make a huge deal out of it. If you’re stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter’s hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won’t sit still. Focus on the big picture and don’t sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm. Silly songs work too.
3. Be prepared. Ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks, drinks, and activities along is also a great idea. We are not above bribing at our studio. 🙂 So we always welcome a special treat if they do well. We have some candy always available to help “the mood”…so with parents permission we may bring that out to help bring out that smile.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. If you would rather just let us run the show…that would be just fine. If you think your child will respond better if you step out of site, we will happily use our tricks and silliness to not only have fun, but create some super cute images.
5. Have a chat before the session. Let them know what’s coming, and your expectations if your children are old enough to understand. Get your children talking to both you and me about topics such as school or their favorite toys, shows, animals or songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around me and will also give me a better chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
6. If your little one has a favorite sentimental item….such as a favorite teddy bear, bring it. We find that their best buddy can help lighten the mood, and I love capturing a couple of shots with them together to show their love and attachment at that stage of life to their favorite toy or stuffed animal.
We are moms too and totally get it. Having your little ones photographed can be STRESSFUL, please know “we got this”!! We promise your kids are not the worse we have seen, and all kids come in a little hesitant … we have a bag of tricks to bring out those smiles and adorable expressions and you know what….sometimes they just do it themselves and we are READY. We hope we can photograph your little ones this coming year….please feel free to contact us if you have a fun idea or theme or just want gorgeous images of your beautiful children!